How to Install EA (Expert Advisor) and Indicator in Metatrader 4 | 5
For a proper installation, we first have to understand the "File Locations" used by the Metatrader. If you are using Windows Vista or higher, Metatrader will place its data folder under the current user's AppData folder.
The path to the Metatrader data folder will look something like this:
To open the data folder, go to File-Open Data Folder
All Metatrader 4 applications are located under the MQL4 folder of your Metatrader 4 data folder.
Since all Metatrader programs almost use the same file extensions, program types are organised inside the
Here are the contents of subfolders in the MQL4 folder:
- Experts - This folder contains the Expert Advisor files.
- Indicators - This folder contains the Indicator files.
- Scripts - This folder contains Script files.
- Include - This folder contains MQH include files.
- Libraries - This folder contains the DLL and other library files required by the applications.
- Files - Any external files that are required by the MT4 applications, other than the include files, libraries, images, must be stored in this folder.
- Presets - All the .set files that are loaded or saved from the expert advisor properties dialog or from the inputs tab in the Strategy tester.
- Logs - The log files created by the expert advisor or indicator, saved in this folder.
To install an Expert Advisor, copy the EA file in Experts folder:
To install an Indicator, copy the indicator file in indicators folder:
The installation process is same for Metatrader 5, the only difference is that there will be MQL5 folder instead of MQL4:
After copying the Expert Advisor or Indicators files into their corresponding folder, Either refresh the Navigator tab or restart the Metatrader.
If you follow the above steps correctly, you will see the newly installed EA/Indicator in the navigator window of Metatrader.